In the hours before dawn on 21 April 2015, catastrophic and devastating rains hit Dungog. Rainfall topped 300mm in local catchments, rivers broke banks, three died and many many more were made homeless
The resilience of our community to bounce back from the disaster is testament to the power of community led recovery. We are hugely grateful for the support we’ve received.
But recovery can take 1-3 years. So our work, through Project Bounce Forward and the Natural Disaster Relief Fund, continues.
We had no phones, no internet and no communications with the outside world, so we started a Recovery.
The strength we gained from having control over the decisions that we needed to make as a Community and the support we wanted to create for each other as a Community certainly has given us much resolve, capacity and belief in ourselves to know we can build a vibrant, strong future for Dungog Shire.
The Community Centre’s response:
- Emergency Housing for Flood Affected people
- Establishment of Food Bank to feed Flood Affected people
- Establishment of Clothing Pool to clothe Flood Affected people
- Establishment of White Goods , Furniture and cleaning items Pool for Flood Affected people to re-establish a home
- Volunteer Management
- Case Management
- Community Renewal
- Read in detail: The DSCC Storm Response (Report into crisis response and recovery activities)
- Need help? Project Bounce Forward
- Need financial support? Natural Disaster Relief Fund