Money headaches? Difficulty making ends meet? Confused by tax? The Centre helps you get back control of your finances.  

Information is kept confidential and assistance is given in a non judgemental manner


emergency relief

The Community Centre Emergency Relief Program is one on one, free and confidential. The service aims to;

  • Help people address basic needs in times of financial hardship.
  • Provide support, information and advocacy regarding housing issues.
  • Connect people with appropriate available services to provide support.

Are you eligible for the Community Centre Emergency Relief Program? If you earn $60,000 or less, plus $2,500 for each child, then you may qualify.

The Community Centre Emergency Relief Program is available on Tuesday mornings, between 9am and 11am.

Financial Counselling

Are you spending more than you earn? Are you having financial difficulties? Are financial institutions wanting overdue payments? Are you having difficulty working out a plan to manage your money? Do you have a gambling problem? Do you need someone to help you negotiate with creditors?

If you answered “yes” to any of these, you can get help from our free and confidential service.

A financial counsellor from Financial Counselling Hunter Valley Project can:

  • Listen
  • Discuss options
  • Provide information
  • Advocate and mediate
  • Develop personal money management
  • Negotiate with creditors
  • Court support
  • Deal with debt summonses
  • Provide bankruptcy information.

A financial counsellor does not give investment advice, give material aid, do budget counselling alone, or have a magic wand. Our counsellor, Roger, is here once or twice a month. Contact us to make an appointment, or ring Roger on 0407 780 120.

no interest loans

Hunter Region No Interest Loans Scheme (HRNILS) is a community organisation providing no interest loans to people on a low income throughout the Hunter Region.

HRNILS Head Office 02 4987 7660   National enquiry number 1800 509 994   Website

NILS loans can be used to buy essential household items such as:

  • Fridges
  • Freezers 
  • Washing machines 
  • Heaters 
  • Computers 
  • Furniture 
  • Car registration and insurance 
  • Green slips 
  • Medical equipment 
  • Prescription eye wear
  • Stoves (home owners only) 
  • Water heaters (home owners only) 

tax assistance

To book your Tax Assistance appointment, click here:

If you need help to lodge your tax return, you may be eligible for the Tax Help program. 

Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online usingmyTax.  Tax Help is available from July to October. 

Am I eligible for Tax Help?

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $50,000 or less for the income year and you did not

  • work as a contractor, for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader 
  • have partnership or trust matters 
  • sell shares or an investment property 
  • own a rental property 
  • have capital gains tax (CGT) 
  • receive royalties 
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund 
  • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity. 

What can volunteers help me with?

Volunteers can help you lodge your tax return online with myTax or claim a refund of franking credits. If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non lodgment advice. Volunteers are unable to help you with amendments. 

If you’re eligible for Tax Help you will need to have a myGov account linked to the ATO. If necessary, our volunteers can help you link your myGov account to the ATO. 

When you are ready to make an appointment, call us on 13 28 61 for your nearest Tax Help centre. 

Remember to bring these to your appointment: 

  • your myGov user ID and password
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number) 
  • your tax file number 
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years (the assessment needs to have been issued before 31 May this year) 
  • income statements from all sources 
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses 
  • details of any child support payments made 
  • details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses). 
  • If you had a spouse (married or de-facto) at any time during the financial year, you also need to bring details of their taxable income or a reasonable estimate.

Project bounce

Assisting you and your community with information, decision making and recovery resources to Bounce Forward after the Dungog Floods.

Trouble With Power & Water Bills?

Come and see us or go directly to the providers for their hardship programs.